Yellow Dal, Spinach and Tamarind make an incredible combination, full meal delight. Easy to make quick to assemble and be like a chef 🙂
Link to make tamarind sauce. http://simplysentient.org/2017/07/29/tamarind-sauce-2/
Link to make Yellow dal: Yellow Dal, cumin, coriander, turmeric powder, salt and pepper. http://simplysentient.org/2020/05/12/yellow-dal/
3 layered Square with Yellow Dal & SpinachPrint Recipe
- To prepare the yellow dal filling.
- 2 cup yellow dal (yellow mung dal skinned)
- 1 little bunch of coriander leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 crushed fenugreek seeds
- 1 1/4 cups of water as needed
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp raw sesame or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup juice from tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp ghee (for non-vegans) optional
- 1 small dried red chilli or fresh green chilli
- 1/2 teaspoon asafetida (optional contain wheat flour)
- To prepare the spinach filling.
- 2 large bunch of fresh spinach
- 1/2 tsp crushed fenugreek
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tbsp sesame or coconut oil.
- You can follow the ingredients on the link or make the recipes with ingredients list above which is simple.
Sauté all ingredients is a hot pan, add spinach and let simmer until it is all cooked for five minutes and remove from heat.
Drain the water into a glass cup. You can drink it or add to vegetable soup.
Now you assemble the squares. Get a square-shaped metal mould about 12 cm sq. Place the first layer of spinach to the square base and press firmly. Then place the second layer of dal into the square frame and press firmly. Now spread a layer of tamarind sauce very lightly.
Gently wiggle the square mould, and you have you 3 square gourmet shaped main dish.
Garnish Cherry tomatoes, tips of salad, sprouts or fly with your fancy