How to prepare Yellow dal.
Yellow dalPrint Recipe
- 2 cups yellow dal (yellow mung dal skinned)
- 1 little bunch of coriander leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 crushed fenugreek seeds
- 1 1/4 cups of water as needed
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp raw sesame or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup juice from tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp ghee (for non-vegans) optional
- 1 small dried red chilli or fresh green chilli
- 1/2 teaspoon asafetida (optional contain wheat flour)
Cook the yellow dal in one and quarter cup of water or more, once it's almost cooked add tamarind juice. Keep an eye on it that the dal is nice and soft yet sufficiently firm to set in the mould.
Next, in a pan on medium heat sauté in sesame oil the black mustard seeds once it crackles add coriander, cumin seeds, crushed fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, cumin powder, coriander powder, eventually add asafetida, turmeric powder and dried red chilli or green chilli (optional)
Add sautéed mixture to the yellow cooked dal and mix well to have a thick consistency remove from heat and set aside.
In a another pot over medium heat add sesame oil, sauté fenugreek seed, ginger powder.
Add Spinach leaves, salt and spinach will release its liquid when cooking.
Drain the liquid into a cup and prepare spinach for the arrangement on the serving plate.