A cube for lunch with this recipe for Yellow Dal, Spinach, and Tamarind has a phenomenal taste sequence of spicy, sweet, smokey, and savory pops in your mouth. It is easy to make, quick to assemble, and brings out the chef in you. It comprises a thick yellow dal and a naturally sweet and sour tamarind sauce layered with easy-to-prepare spinach.
3 layered Square with Yellow Dal & Spinach
Assemble the 3 layers in a square mold onto each plate. Serve it with slices of flatbread, roti, or just your simple bread.
- Yellow Dal Filling:
- 2 cups yellow dal (yellow mung dal, skinned)
- 1/2 tsp each coriander seed and powder
- 1/2 tsp each of cumin seeds and powder
- 1 small bunch of coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp curry leaves
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp crushed fenugreek seeds
- 2 tbsp raw sesame or coconut oil
- Tamarind sauce (follow the link)
- 1/2 cup juice from tamarind paste
- 1 1/4 cups of water (or as needed)
- 1 small dried red chili or fresh green chili
- 1 tbsp ghee (for vegan, use coconut butter) - optional
- Spinach Filling:
- 1 tbsp sesame oil or coconut oil.
- 1/2 tsp crushed fenugreek
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 2 large bunches of fresh spinach
- Salt, to taste
Follow the link in the text above to learn how to make Yellow Dal and Tamarind paste. Set both of these aside while you prepare the spinach layer.
Prepare the spinach layer,
Heat the sesame or coconut oil in a medium-sized pan over medium heat.
Add the crushed fenugreek and ginger powder and sauté for about 30 seconds.
Add the spinach and sauté until the spinach slightly wilts and is cooked. This will take about 4-5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
Squeeze the excess water from the spinach into a glass cup. You can drink this liquid or add it to any vegetable soup. Set aside the drained spinach.
Now, you assemble the squares.
Place a square-shaped metal mold (about 12cm on each side) onto a plate.
Place the first layer of spinach in the square base and press firmly.
Then place the second layer of dal into the square frame and press firmly.
Now spread a layer of tamarind sauce very lightly on top of the Dal layer.
Gently wiggle the square mold off the plate.
Garnish the top with cherry tomatoes, salad tips, sprouts, or anything you want.