Yellow Dal, Spinach, and Tamarind make a phenomenal sequence of tastes pops into your mouth, full meal delight. Easy to make, quick to assemble, and be a chef 🙂 You have to prepare three main items, thick yellow dal, a naturally sweet and sour tamarind sauce, and layer it with easy-to-prepare spinach.
Assemble the 3 layers in a square mold onto each plate. Serve it with slices of flatbread, roti, or just your simple bread. Here is the link to make tamarind sauce and Yellow dal. You can follow the step below and delight your friends.
3 layered Square with Yellow Dal & Spinach
- Yellow Dal Filling:
- 2 cups yellow dal (yellow mung dal, skinned)
- 1/2 tsp each coriander seed and powder
- 1/2 tsp each cumin seeds and powder
- 1 small bunch of coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp curry leaves
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp crushed fenugreek seeds
- 2 tbsp raw sesame or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup juice from tamarind paste
- 1 1/4 cups of water (or as needed)
- 1 small dried red chili or fresh green chili
- 1 tbsp ghee (use coconut butter if you're vegan) - optional
- Spinach Filling:
- 1 tbsp sesame oil or coconut oil.
- 2 large bunch of fresh spinach
- 1/2 tsp crushed fenugreek
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
Follow the link in the text above to learn how to make Yellow Dal and Tamarind paste. Set both of these aside while you prepare the spinach layer.
To prepare the spinach layer, heat the sesame oil or coconut oil on a medium-sized pan over medium heat.
Add the crushed fenugreek and ginger powder and sweat this out for about 30 seconds.
Add the spinach and saute until the spinach slightly wilts and is cooked. This will take about 4-5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
Squeeze the excess water from the spinach into a glass cup. You can drink it or add this to any vegetable soup. Set aside the drained spinach.
Now you assemble the squares. Place a square-shaped metal mold (about 12cm on each side) onto a plate.
Place the first layer of spinach to the square base and press firmly.
Then place the second layer of dal into the square frame and press firmly.
Now spread a layer of tamarind sauce very lightly on top of the Dal layer.
Gently wiggle the square mold off the plate.
Garnish the top with cherry tomatoes, salad tips, sprout, or anything you would like.