Mixed Vegetable Pie with Gram flour, a versatile and healthier option instead of white flour. You will be surprised how easy it is to learn to use gram flour as a tastier and nutritious substitute for white flour. The main idea for this pie is to show you the various possibilities to make gluten-free dough for pies, bread, tarts, etc.
The mixture of gram flour, tapioca flour, and a spoon of peanut butter will make the crust taste unique. Add tapioca flour to the mix will give the dough a crunchy and crispy texture once cooked. Have fun with your mixed vegetable pie and discover which combination of vegetables works well for you.
Mix vegetable pie
- 1/2 cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1 carrot, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 zucchini, sliced thin rounds
- 1 /2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp finely chopped basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder for brushing the top for color
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- A few cherry tomatoes to garnish
- To make the dough:
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cup gram flour
- 1/2 cup of rice starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup of water, or you can add the stock from the vegetable liquid.
To make the filling: Add olive oil in an open pan over medium heat, then add all spices, herbs and sauté for 30 seconds.
Now you can add all vegetables; sauté for a few minutes. It's preferable not to overcook the vegetables as too much liquid will be released from the mixture.
Remove from heat and set aside to cool while making the dough for the pie.
Place the vegetables into a colander to drain any excess liquid sauce of the vegetable. You may add the liquid to the dough later on instead of discarding it as well.
To make the dough for pie, mix all ingredients and knead thoroughly for few minutes until the dough is ready.
You can choose to add the water or the vegetable stock from the sauteed vegetables to the dough mixture.
Split the dough into parts slightly unequal parts as the bottom layer will take slightly more dough and roll evenly into 2 or 3 mm thick to fit the size of the tray to be placed into a 3 cm high round ceramic tray.
Place vegetable paper over the round tray and spread the gram flour dough evenly.
Spread the vegetable mix into the tray with the dough already evenly laid over the tray.
Next, place the second layer of dough over the vegetables and seal the pie.
To seal the edges, make a minimal twist along the side edges of the dough. You can also press it with a fork on the edges of the tray.
With a fork, punch some holes over the pie, and you can make some simple designs to release the steam that will accumulate inside while cooking.
Mix some turmeric powder with olive oil and brush this on top of the dough to give it a beautiful yellow eggy color.
Place the pie in the oven to cook for 30 minutes at 190° C / 375° F.
When it is ready, garnish with halved cherry tomatoes.
1. To make the filling for the pie, you can add various kinds of vegetables. You can also add seitan, tofu, or any other vegetables. Be creative and add your favorite herbs and veggies and make it an exciting new pie. 2. Preheat the oven to 190° C / 375° F 30 minutes before. 3. Instead of using vegetable paper, you can opt to spread some oil on the tray and dust some dough on the tray to prevent dough from sticking to the tray.