Vegetable gratin with tomato sauce and tofunaise w/coconut milk.
This is an unusual vegetarian gratin, breaking away from traditional by using a healthier version for the sauces made from tofunaise mixed with coconut milk and exotic spices with tomato sauce. Cooking with clay pots gives the dishes a beautiful earthy taste, and the flavors get enriched when we used wood-fired ovens. You must have experienced this sometime in your life. This recipe takes much more time, but the pleasure of eating a meal cooked in a clay pot feels so natural and worth all the wait.
Click on the link for Tofunaise sauce
- Vegetable gratin:
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 medium carrots, chopped into bite-sized pieces of your preferred shape
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped into bite-sized pieces of your preferred shape
- 400 grams of organic tofu
- 1/2 cup of grated coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 250 grams of flat green beans
- 1 tbsp of ginger powder
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp black mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup of sweet peas to use or garnish
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 250 grams of organic tofu
- 1 cup of coconut milk cream
- 1 tbsp coconut butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp sifted tapioca flour or rice starch.
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Tomato Sauce:
- 8 medium fresh tomatoes
- 8 sundried tomato soaked in olive oil
- 1 tsp of broken fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp asafoetida
- 1 tsp of caraway seeds
- 1 tsp of mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp clear sesame oil
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp of curry leaves (optional)
First, we prepare the tomato sauce.
In boiling water, blanch the tomatoes and remove the skin.
In a medium pot over medium heat, add sesame oil and sauté the spices for a minute. Then add the blanched tomatoes and allow them to cook well until all it becomes very soft and can easily be mashed to turn into a puree. The sauce will be used for the top layer of the vegetable gratin.
Now we prepare the vegetables for the gratin.
In a pot over high heat add coconut oil and sauté all spices for vegetable gratin for 30 seconds.
Next, add the vegetables to the spices and mix them well. Sauté vegetables are half-cooked.
Add the tofunaise coconut milk sauce into the vegetables and mix to combine the sauce with vegetables and transfer to the clay tray. Spread the vegetables evenly on a clay tray and set the tray aside.
Finally, we prepare the tofu topping.
cut the tofu into cubes and satué in a saucepan over medium heat and cook until the tofu cubes are all golden brown.
Add in the grated coconut and continue to sauté a minute more then remove from heat and remove about a cup full of tofu coconut mix for garnish.
In the large clay tray of vegetables spread the tofu evenly over the vegetables.
Evenly pour tomato sauce over the tofu and vegetables.
Garnish with the rest of the coconut tofu over the tomato sauce and spread some sweet peas over the whole dish.
Place the tray in the oven for twenty minutes to grill the surface for 15 minutes and remove it from the oven and serve the vegetable gratin hot from the oven. Super yummy stuff!
While you sauté the vegetables, it's better to keep them all half-cooked since you will bake the dish in the end again for 15 mins. Plus the heat of the vegetables will allow it to cook itself.